Oracle Data Warehouse

From: Rick Barber <RBarber_at_tor.lgs.ca>
Date: 1995/09/22

I am about to start a project where I will be building a data warehouse using Oracle. The database will ultimatly grow to about 50Gbytes with 50 -100Mybtes being added daily and about the same being droped daily.

The hardware has not yet beed decided but it can be IBM RS/6000 model including the MPP with any configuration.

There will be a total user population of about 50 - 100 online users during the day.

I have woked with databases up to about 10Gbytes in the past but nothing this large. With the large insert and delete activity (all batch overnight oriented) I have a number of concerns:

  1. how do I perform a backup in a reasonable period of time?
  2. With all of the insert and delete activity how will I be able to do the reorgs that are necessary?
  3. how can I do the nightly batch on time?

I would be interested in any comments suggestions and tips that you may give.

Thanks for the help...... Received on Fri Sep 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message