FORMS4.0 Question, relations between 3 blocks

From: Alan Lin <alanlin_at_thor.srl.caltech.edu>
Date: 1995/09/22

I am trying to build a form for our department's paper publication data. I have created three tables,

paper:

        paper_id, title, journal, volume, number, page, year, ...

author:

        author_id, last_name, first_name, ...

publication:

        paper_id, author_num, author_id

A paper may have many co-authors, and the order of authors are important. So, one example may look like this,

	paper_id, author_num, author_id
	   ..          ..        ..
	   23		1        45
	   23           2         3
	   23           3        57
           23           4        18
           ..          ..        ..

which means paper # 23 has 4 authors, their id are 45, 3, 57, and 18.

I am trying to create a form with a layout like this,

    |	Paper Id  ___________                                              |
    |	Title     __________________________________________               |

| Journal ______________________ |
| Volume ___________ Number _______ Page ______ Year _______ |
| |
| |
| Author Id Last Name First Name |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| _________ _________ __________ |
| |

I have tried something out using Forms 4.0. I used three blocks,

	block_a (base table paper), displays 1 record,
	block_b (base table publication), displays 10 records,
	block_c (base table author), display 10 records

and following relations,

	block_b.paper_id=block_a.paper_id,
	block_c.author_id=block_b.author_id

When I run query on a paper_id, the corresponding author_ids show up in block_b, but only the first author's last name and first name show up.

Any suggestions to solve this problem, or any idea on how to design a form like this ?

Your help will be greatly appreicated. Thanks!

Alan M. Lin
Space Radiation Laboratory
California Institute of Technology

Tel: (818) 397-7072 Fax: (818) 397-7111 Email: alanlin_at_thor.srl.caltech.edu
Mail Stop: 220-22