Re: Too much time to insert records into tables

From: Gary Kirsh <gkirsh_at_news.dorsai.org>
Date: 1995/09/22

Rajeev Sethi (rajsethi_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Hi,

: Currently there are 50-70 users trying insert records into 2 tables
: (Master-Detail). The system slowsdown drastically when users are
: inserting records in these tables. Sometimes it takes about 4 min. to
: commit its transaction. (which is not acceptable).

: There is no explicit table locking.

: Is there anyway to speed the data entry ?

: Thanks for the replies.

: Rajeev Sethi
: rajsethi_at_ix.netcom.com
:

Rajeev,

If multiple users are concurrently inserting into the same table, you can try increasing the table's INITRANS parameter from its default value of 1, e.g.

    alter table emp storage (initrans 4); This should help if multiple transactions are updating the same block. I haven't played with it much, though, so I'd be interested to hear if it helps you, or if anyone else has any experience with it.

--
Gary Kirsh
Next Extent, Inc.