Re: Help: Datafile toasted; how do you get Oracle running again?

From: Paul Baumgartel <paulb_at_pcnet.com>
Date: 1995/09/20

I think you have a couple of options. First, you could try using CREATE CONTROLFILE to construct a new control file that does not have an entry for the tablespace/datafile that was deleted. You could then start up the DB using the new control file and re-create the tablespace.

The second option is to re-create the database entirely. You do not have to re-install the Oracle software to do this (I assume that's what you meant when you said "re-installing Oracle"). I always create databases via a set of SQL scripts; once created, I can re-use them to re-create the identical database if need be. Briefly, you want to do the following, using SQL*DBA:

  connect internal
  startup nomount
  create database....
_at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/catalog.sql
_at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/catproc.sql

  create rollback segment temp tablespace system;   alter rollback segment temp online;

Then create your tablespaces, rollback segments, etc.

Good luck.    Received on Wed Sep 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message