Re: Oracle Hung during Shutdown

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/09/19

We're having a similar problem occasionally with 7.0 on AT&T 35xx boxes where a shutdown immediate hangs. I looked in the dbms_pipe procedures and there's a purge function but it requires the actual name of the pipe. How would we get the name of the pipe?

This shutdown/hang occurs in a cron process where we shutdown the DB's for cold backups. How could we get the pipe names in order to purge them prior to issuing the shutdown immediate command?

TIA
Jim Gregory

>>==========Sridhar Subramaniam, 9/19/95==========
>>
>>A known bug on Oracle 7.0.x on HPUX - Are you using any database pipes at
>>all .. if so be sure you 'drain' them, using dbms_pipes, before shutting
>>oracle down.
>>
>>Hope this helps
>>
>>Sridhar
>>Avion Consulting
>>Sydney - Australia
>>
>>Disclaimer : All standard disclaimers apply
>>

>>eho_at_freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () wrote:
>>>I've just created a oracle DB instance. But it hang during the shutdown.
>>>It seems the dispatch is running but all other oracle tasks are gone from
>>>the system. I could not find anything from the Oracle trace file. Any
>>>suggestions?
>>>

>>>We are running Oracle 7.0.16 under HPUX-9. MTS option is turned on.
 Thanks

>>>--
>>>ERIC HO email: eho_at_freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
>>>EDMONTON, AB, T6J 6W6

Views and opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect my empoyer's or client's. Received on Tue Sep 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message