Re: ORA-01555 snapshot too old ...

From: Ananta Narayanan <anarayan_at_sctcorp.com>
Date: 1995/09/18

Timothy Dry <tdry_at_sierra.net> wrote:

> I'm receiving this error and I can't really figure out why.
>The ORACLE Messages and Codes manual simply says to increase
>rollback space. I really don't think this is the problem (although
>it may solve it in the interim).

> My application is reading a number of rows (50,000) from a single
>table and creating new records in other tables and updating the
>read record. I've allocated what I consider more than adequate
>rollback space for this, yet I still get this error. In addition, this
>application is running in it's own instance and no other users are
>connected while it is running. Thanks in advance for any advice.

>Tim Dry
>tdry_at_sierra.net

Your application is processing a very large number of records which causes the rollback segment records to be overwritten by other transactions. You need to modify your application to process of records (100-500) at a time.
Ananta Narayanan

The above views are my own. Warranty expired the moment you opened this article. Other standard disclaimers apply.

  • What we know is very little, What we don't know is immense. .. Leibnitz