Re: Any projects with lots of server-side PL/SQL?

From: Sundar Raghavan <sundar_at_tcs.com>
Date: 1995/09/17

At our site we have atleast couple of PL/SQL packages implementing crucial subsystems.

Some pitfalls are:

  1. Size - You may run into "Program too big" messages if you implement large procedures. One strategy is to divide large modules into sub modules.
  2. Schema dependency. If you change the data types (for example, char(14) to varchar(14)) you may have rerun your packages to make sure they work. Given the comparison semantic differences between these two data types, you may be in for some surprises.
  3. Overloading the server - If you shift all your processing back to the server, we are back to square one on this client server thing. Network bandwith limitations may go away with the arrival of ATM and FDDI. While PL/SQL procedures are useful to centralize the business logic, one shouldnt be carried away.

Good luck.

PS: Oracle promises vector return sets in the next version of Oracle Objects for OLE. Received on Sun Sep 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message