Re: Very Large Oracle Database Backup (200 Gbytes)

From: Yuk Hon Johnny Chan <jychan_at_corp.hp.com>
Date: 1995/09/15

Vincent Catry (catry_at_grenoble.hp.com) wrote:
: Hello

: Does anyone has experience in backuping big Oracle database
: (200 Gigbytes) ? I was thinking of doing one full & offline backup
: on saturday night on many different tape devices in parallel and
: backup archive log files continuously during the week for the
: incremental. But I am afraid of the recovery time of those archive
: log files.

The largest databases i've backed up is 100+ Gigs, but here's some ideas:

o Identify the hot tablespaces (those with the most data changes) and   perform hot backups on those more frequently. o Do disk to disk backups or mirror re-silvering. It's costly, but for   a mission-critical database, i would not have it any other way. o Perform at least one full cold backup weekly, just in case. o Try and keep a week's worth of archive logs on disk. Or at least   enoegh so that you can recover without needing to pull archive logs   from tape, which can be time consuming. o if downtime due to recovery is very critical, consider building a   standby system where a second database will be in recovery mode and   have archive logs from the real production db be sent and applied   continually.

jc Received on Fri Sep 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message