Re: semaphore-sets and oracle7

From: Michael Ryan <ryan_at_xsoft.xerox.com>
Date: 1995/09/14

In article <michael.laengle.4.00108ED6_at_uni-konstanz.de>, michael.laengle_at_uni-konstanz.de (Michael Laengle) writes:
>I have following problem:
>On my system (IRIX 6.0.1) its only possibe to run 60 oracle-processes
>alltogether for example:

 [snip]
>The system-parameters are SEMMNI=60 SEMMSL=60 SEMMNS=60.
>Is anybody so kind to explain me this problem?
> Thanks a lot

what problem? the system is behaving as expected.

from Oracle7 Server for UNIX Administrator's Reference, Adjusting Semaphore Parameters:

"The ORACLE Server uses one semaphore per oracle process...

SEMMNI	maximum number of semaphore sets in the system
SEMMSL	maximum number of semaphores per set
SEMMNS	maximum number of semaphores system wide
SEMMNU	maximum number of undo structures"

with your SEMMNS=60, you have limited yourself to 60 semaphores system wide and, thus, a maximum of 60 oracle processes.

crank SEMMNS up to 200, reconfigure your kernel and try again. //michael

--
:: michael ryan , ryan_at_xsoft.xerox.com
:: ob disclaimer: opinions expressed are not those of xerox, corp.