Re: Can print to file in PL/SQL?

From: S. Kannan <skannan_at_cardinal.fs.com>
Date: 1995/09/14

Jennifer L. Archie (jarchie_at_ivar7) wrote:
: I would like to print out to a file, the parameter list for a stored
: procedure. Is this possible? I haven't seen any demo examples or read
: anything in the Oracle books that indicate this is possible or not.
: Is there anything I can give to put_line() to tell it to print the buffer
: to a file?

: Thanks for the help.

: --
: ****
: Jennifer L. Archie
: U S WEST Technologies
: PSRP -- Public Service Reengineering Project
: Office: 303-624-4196

: E-mail: jarchie_at_lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com
: WWW: http://ivarsrv.ecte.uswc.uswest.com/Personnel/jarchie.html

  1. Although, you cannot directly write to a file using put_line, you can use dbms_pipes to provide this functionality. You can send messages in your PL/SQL subprogram that are received by a pro*c. These messages can then be written to a file. You'll however need a minimum of two sessions , one constantly receiving messages that the other session is sending.
  2. Another method (which I am sure you have thought of) is to use a table. You write your messages into this table and select rows from these tables, spooling them into a file.

Hope this helps.

Kannan
Email: skannan_at_fs.com
Mastech Systems Corporation

The above are my own comments and opinion. They do not purport that of
anybody else.
       ** Different is Not Better. Better is not Different **