Re: WWW/Oracle/Perl/Oraperl

From: Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1995/09/14

In article <0099658E.2439522C_at_vms.csd.mu.edu>,  <5p88zobairs_at_vms.csd.mu.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to install oraperl with Perl 5.0.
> There seems to be a problem finding a Perl directory
> called usub/. This directory seems to be present in
> Perl 4.x versions.
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to install oraperl with
> Perl 5.0? Is there a way around this problem??
>
> I would really appreciate a response.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Saima Zobair

Here's my pre-canned reply:

Perl4 oraperl will not work with Perl5. A new database independent standard interface is being developed for Perl5.

An oracle module which uses that interface is also being developed. The oracle module includes an oraperl emulation interface. Other database drivers will be developed over time.

Alpha releases of this software are available from ftp.demon.co.uk in /pub/perl/db/ but are not recommended for production use at this time.

For more information and to keep informed about progress you can join the perldb mailing list by sending a message to perldb-interest-request_at_vix.com (it may take a few days to be processed).

All discussion related to this work should take place on the mailing list.

Tim. Received on Thu Sep 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message