Re: Index Calculation Question

From: Stan Novinsky <stan_novinsky_at_jhuapl.edu>
Date: 1995/09/14

stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU (Steve Cosner) wrote:

> By the way, the Step 5 equation looks pretty stupid to me... Note that
> "avg.entry size" is in both the numerator and denominator of the
> equation. Why did they do that???

Steve:

  So is it true that the "F" in the example (1*3) represents 3   columns that make up the index and the "22" is the total avg size   of the 3 index columns ??

> By the way, the Step 5 equation looks pretty stupid to me... Note that
> "avg.entry size" is in both the numerator and denominator of the
> equation. Why did they do that???

  I agree. It is somewhat redundant to repeat the "avg.entry size"   since they cnacel each other.

Stan Received on Thu Sep 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message