Re: Very Large Oracle Database Backup (200 Gbytes)

From: <byron_at_sfsu.edu>
Date: 1995/09/13

Vincent Catry <catry_at_grenoble.hp.com> wrote:

>Hello

>Does anyone has experience in backuping big Oracle database
>(200 Gigbytes) ? I was thinking of doing one full & offline backup
>on saturday night on many different tape devices in parallel and
>backup archive log files continuously during the week for the
>incremental. But I am afraid of the recovery time of those archive
>log files.

>Any feedback ?
>Thanks
>catry_at_grenoble.hp.com

Ours is not quite so large (only 40GB - about 70 GB next year). We take an offline backup (about 2 hours on 3480 media; compressed; parallel dumps on multiple drives) during the weekend mainly to get the control files and database in for a disaster recovery set. We use hotbackup and archive logs during the week for incrementals. You are right about the recovery time concern - it takes an enormous amount of time for Oracle to unscramble itself even from just a "basic" crash. Without the combination of on-line archive logs and near-on-line tape logs - a tape only solution would be ridiculous.

I noticed your org is hp.com. We are considering HP for specialty database servers. Any suggestions for how many tape drives for a 100+ GB database? I was thinking 3490E (if even possible) or DLT. What is your experience on the DLT or other recommendation for FAST tape systems for HP.

Thanks.
Byron
byron_at_sfsu.edu
Administrative Systems Received on Wed Sep 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message