Re: Indexing & text fields

From: Joe Nardone <joe_at_access4.digex.net>
Date: 1995/09/13

Ken Paris (RBVH73A_at_prodigy.com) wrote:
: I am creating a character string (not sure of the length yet, may be 80,
: may be more) which contains comments. I would like to be able to create
: an index so that Oracle can quickly find all rows which contain a
: specific string (e.g. all rows where this column contains the string
: 'Relational').
:
: Does the DBMS have the capability to do this? If not, is there any
: Oracle or third party product offering which can accomplish this?

Oracle (DBMS) does not have this kind of support. Basically, you are asking for an index on every token in a string. This is much more complex than just indexing the field as a whole (left-> right).

Not only would a third party product have to maintain this index, it would have to provide some means of allowing Oracle's SQL engine to try and use it.

Joe
: Thanks in advance.
:

--