Indexing & text fields

From: Ken Paris <RBVH73A_at_prodigy.com>
Date: 1995/09/13

I am creating a character string (not sure of the length yet, may be 80, may be more) which contains comments. I would like to be able to create an index so that Oracle can quickly find all rows which contain a specific string (e.g. all rows where this column contains the string 'Relational').

Does the DBMS have the capability to do this? If not, is there any Oracle or third party product offering which can accomplish this?

One other question. Is there any problem with case sensitivity? Since end-users will be entering data, we have no control over whether they use upper or lower case and I'd prefer not to create a duplicate column which is all upper case and then convert the search string into upper case to get a match using this duplicate column.

Thanks in advance. Received on Wed Sep 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message