Re: Defragmenting the SYSTEM tablespace

From: Dave Mausner <d-mausner_at_nwu.edu>
Date: 1995/09/13

In article <434mq6$1129_at_source.asset.com>,

   fowlers_at_source.asset.com (Senta A. Fowler) wrote:
>We are currently using an IBM AIX based UNIX machine with ORACLE 7.0
>The database on this machine was created prior to my joining the
>company and contains a lot of fragmented tablespaces including the
>SYSTEM tablespace. If you have any suggestions on how I can safely
>defragment the SYSTEM tablespace...

generally, there should only be system objects in the system tablespace. if that is true, then during the life of the instance, all the required system data is loaded into memory caches. hence, the fragmentation of the system tablespace is of little consequence since almost no disk activity occurs there.

having said this, i can add that there is no practical way to de-frag the system tablespace in-place. for obvious reasons you cannot export and then import it, altho i welcome you to try this someday.

Dave Mausner, Sr. Consultant, Braun Technology Group, Chicago. Received on Wed Sep 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message