Re: Firing Triggers from Oracle --> Sybase

From: Paul Roberts <proberts_at_isc901.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1995/09/12

> diamonds2_at_aol.com (Diamonds2)
> 8 Sep 1995 22:45:47 -0400
> America Online, Inc. (1-800-827-6364)
>
> Hi,
> We are running Oracle 7.1 and we need to fire triggers to our SYBASE
 10
> database. Unfortunately no one knows what we need to do to make this
> happen.
> We are new to both Oracle and Sybase, classes are coming up but will
> be too late for our deadline.
> Can some fill me in? What needs to be set in Oracle and Sybase for
 this
> happen? Can the triggers fire directly into Sybase or will it put
 into a
> ascii txt
> file for SYBASE to pickup with bcp?

   You can create a database link in Oracle to the tables you are trying to update in Sybase. The Oracle literature claims that you can then code a trigger to update the Sybase table as if it were a table in the Oracle DB. I've used DB links between 2 Oracle databases, but never between Oracle & Sybase, so I can't offer any other clues.

Good Luck! HTH!

    _   _  _ _  __    : Paul Roberts
   |_  |_|  |  |      : Programmer / Analyst
    _| | | _|_ |__    : proberts_at_isc901.jsc.nasa.gov

Scientific Applications International Corporation

   (An employee-owned company)

  The opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily   the views of SAIC, NASA, or the U.S. government. Received on Tue Sep 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message