Re: GPF with OracleObjects for OLE - HELP!

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/09/11

In article <431p94$iue_at_sparcserver.lrz-muenchen.de>, Mark Sandor <u7l11ai_at_sun1.lrz-muenchen.de> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>i've got a prob concerning a VB 3.0 application using Oracle
>Objects for OLE V. 1.0.42.0.0 . When I deal with little data, e.g.
>querying a table "SELECT name FROM table" everything works fine.
>But if the query returns more columns ("SELECT * FROM table") i
>occasionally get GPFs (in Module VBOA300.DLL).
>
>This really seems to be an OO-VB prob, because if I use a statment
>like "SET fld=nothing" after I used the fld-variable to access the
>return-set, the GPFs are less often.
There is a VB(not oo4o) problem where VB does not release the memory/resources associated with certain temporary objects variables when used in a single function/procedure. I can't remember the Microsoft Knowledge Base article though. If set fld=nothing works, then this sounds like it. That will force the release of the objects.

Yes, there is an update(1.0.55). Many bugs were fixed especially ones with the data control and other 3rd party controls. I don't know if this release is on www.oracle.com(90 day trial site) but you can check.

>If I cant manage this problem, i think i have to switch to ODBC. I
>would regret this step, because (except for the f****** GPFs) OO
>are OK.
 As I said, I think it's a VB problem...