4.5 Timer VS Database Timer ? Help !!!

From: Craig Harper <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1995/09/11

I need to keep a screen visable at all times and constantly execute a query to keep the data in the screen fresh.

I was going to use the Create_timer in forms 4.5 to do this, but discovered that the timer does not fire unless the form is active. For example I was going to do something like:

When_form_instance...

   Declare

     Sec_timer   TIMER;
     Two_Sec     NUMBER (4) :=2000;
   Begin
     Sec_timer:= Create_Timer('get_currency',Two_Sec,REPEAT);
Then I was going to use the When_Timer_Expired trigger to select * from curriencies. The form is display only fields.

but this will only work when that form is active and I need the form to be updated even when the client is using another form. The Currency form is only for display, I am not sure if there is a way in forms to achive what I need. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

I was also interested in setting a timer on the database side that would query the table at a specified interval and then broadcast the data to all connected clients. Is this possible?

Desperatly Seeking Solutions.

Craig Harper
IFTN Received on Mon Sep 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message