Re: Oracle V7.1 show-stopping performance problem

From: P W Maker Deverill P <deverill2_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: 1995/09/11

WOW! major system design problem!

How can you be sure that the issue is not WAN-related? Even T1 lines are slow for some traffic; can you monitor load on the WAN and accurately determine the bandwidth requirements of distributed Oracle?

How about firing off an individual query to each of the remote server as well as to your local one and timing it?

Also; I would expect just one SQL statement and the returned data to come back very fast, so the above example would be quick unless there was a fundamental problem with the databases. Distributed joins may involve complex instructions within the Oracle NLM; these may be bugged (hence look for a patch), bound by the processor (load MONITOR to check), or inefficient in their use of the WAN (again, check the load). Start with a 2-machine distributed call and work up.

I've run out of ideas but will tack others on as I have them. Good luck!

Pierre Received on Mon Sep 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message