Re: What is an Oracle "User"

From: Brian Graham <GrahamB_at_psac.com>
Date: 1995/09/11

In article <DEI42B.8tn_at_gatekeeper.mag.aramark.com>, Ferguson_at_uvii.mag.aramark.com (Linwood Ferguson) says:

>Having been burned by several other vendors, I would like confirmation from
>some actual users.
>
>We are considering Oracle in an environment where we will have one "main"
>database, and a bunch of local databases with frequently used data. Each of
>about 400 users will attach to both a local Oracle database and over a WAN to
>the central database.
>
>Oracle sales is telling us that counts as 400 users, and a 400 user license is
>all we need (plus some nominal, like few hundred dollar each, cost for a
>server on each processor).
>
>That is so enlightened of a definition of a "user" that the cynic in me thinks
>the salesman is mistaken, and when we get to doing it we will find we have 800
>users by their counts.
>
>Anyone know for sure how this works? Either legally, or from any enforcement
>techniques they use (about which I know nothing as yet).
>
>Thanks in advance. Thanks double for an e-mail copy of any response in case I
>miss it in the rather high volume here.
>
>--
>Linwood Ferguson e-mail: ferguson_at_uvii.mag.aramark.com
>Mgr. Software Engineering Voice: (US) 540/967-0087
>ARAMARK Mag & Book Services

I believe that you are going to find that a "USER" is any connection to an Oracle database. However, bear in mind that these are CONCURRENT users. So if you have 400 people accessing 2 databases each, that 800 connections. If only 25% of them are on at any particular time, that would be a 200 user licence. To the best of my knowledge.

                                          Brian

--
Brian Graham                    .
Programmer / DBA        ._______|_______. Tel: 613-560-5470