Re: What is an Oracle "User"

From: Craig <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1995/09/10

Marty Bronstein <marty_at_amelia.sp.trw.com> wrote:
>Ferguson_at_uvii.mag.aramark.com (Linwood Ferguson) wrote:
>>Having been burned by several other vendors, I would like confirmation from
>>some actual users.
>>
>>We are considering Oracle in an environment where we will have one "main"
>>database, and a bunch of local databases with frequently used data. Each of
>>about 400 users will attach to both a local Oracle database and over a WAN to
>>the central database.
>>
>>Oracle sales is telling us that counts as 400 users, and a 400 user license is
>>all we need (plus some nominal, like few hundred dollar each, cost for a
>>server on each processor).
>>
>>That is so enlightened of a definition of a "user" that the cynic in me thinks
>>the salesman is mistaken, and when we get to doing it we will find we have 800
>>users by their counts.
>>
>>Anyone know for sure how this works? Either legally, or from any enforcement
>>techniques they use (about which I know nothing as yet).
>>
>>Thanks in advance. Thanks double for an e-mail copy of any response in case I
>>miss it in the rather high volume here.
>>
>>--
>>Linwood Ferguson e-mail: ferguson_at_uvii.mag.aramark.com
>>Mgr. Software Engineering Voice: (US) 540/967-0087
>>ARAMARK Mag & Book Services
>>

>I thought Oracle sold database licenses on the basis of concurrent users, i.e. the
>number of users connected to the database at any given time. You could have 400
>people who might use the database, but maybe only 50 or 100 who are actually
>connected at one time.
>
>marty_at_amelia.sp.trw.com

Oracle does both Named and Conncurrent user licences, They are in the process of changing how they define a "user", I would not be terribly concerned with Oracle comming back and saying that you have to pay for another 400 users. They are for the most part on the Honor system.

With in 7.1.6 their are a number of parameters that the DBA can set to help your company tack how many people are using the system. If I were you I would buy less of the conncurent lic. than you think your going to need in the beging, get set-up and running. Then check and see how many users are on at the same time. Then you can go back to Oracle and buy more lic. In fact I would tell them that you are going to do this, and cut a volume deal on projected lic. numbers.

Craig Harper
IFTN Received on Sun Sep 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message