Re: How to get Oracle?

From: Navaratnam Ragu <ragu_at_churchill.co.uk>
Date: 1995/09/10

Jennifer Blair (BTT_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: In <hermanip.810165965_at_du139-210.cc.iastate.edu> hermanip_at_iastate.edu
: (Power-up) writes:
: >
: >Hi everybody,
: > I am a newcomer and wish to learn Oracle. Somebody told me that
: >I could get Oracle from the ftp site. He said I needed to pay to
: Oracle before I could do that. Can anyone please tell me whether it
: works or not and also the address for me to send the check? Thanks
: >
: >Herman
: >--
: >signature=myname
: >hermanip_at_iastate.edu

: Herman,

: You can download a free 90-day trial copy of Personal Oracle7 from:

: www.oracle.com

: This will give you basic Oracle - where you can learn and practice SQL,
: SQL*Plus, and PL/SQL. You will need a good reference book to help you
: through the rough spots. The two best ones I know of are:

: Mastering Oracle7 & Client/Server Computing
: by Stephen Bobrowski
: Sybex -- around $40.00 US -- Good Introduction / Overview of Oracle

: Oracle The Complete Reference
: Koch and Loney
: Osborne -- around $35.00 US -- Will help you learn SQL syntax

: Once you've conquered the basics, you'll want to learn PL/SQL -
: Oracle's procedural language extensions to SQL. A good book on
: that is coming out this month:

: PL/SQL Programming
: by Steven Fauerstein
: O'Reilly -- around $35-40.00 US -- Excellent reference and guide to
: good programming practices.

: After that, you'll have to decide what you want to learn next.
: Unfortunately, there are no free copies of Oracle Developer 2000 that
: I'm aware of, if you want to learn Forms and Reports. But this will
: keep you busy for a long time.

: Good luck to you! It's quite an adventure!

: Jennifer Blair, President
: Blair Technical Training
: Alexandria, VA
: Specializing in Oracle and Unix Training
: email: BTT_at_ix.netcom.com
: