Re: Dead Clients with SQL*Net and TCP/IP

From: Guenter Brors <brorsg_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1995/09/09

ep94bvps_at_noh71cd.shell.com (Burton V. Peltier) wrote:

>Try upgrading to SqlNet 2.1 with the 'Dead Connection Detection'
>feature. Does exactly what you want.

>Also, helps on Unix side if power goes out , reboot , etc.

I have found out that only a combination of the SQL*Net 2.1 'Dead Connection Detection' and the AIX TCP/IP kernel parameters worked in all cases.

For the SQL*Net solution I put the parameter SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 10 (meaning 10 minutes) in the SQLNET.ORA on both the client and server. It works, but only if the client's TCP/IP is active, that is, the client must be rebooted and not just powered off.

After changing the TCP/IP kernel parameters with the AIX command 'no -o tcp_keepidle=1200' and 'no -o tcp_keepintvl=12' even a powered off client PC was detected. The Oracle shadow process was killed after 10 minutes, whereas the Oracle session disappeared a few minutes later, probably killed by the SQL*Net parameter after the shadow process was killed.

Thank you all for the tips I have received.

Guenter Brors - Consultant Client/Server Solutions Internet: brorsg_at_ibm.net
CompuServe: 100137,2305
Phone: +49(40)6913629 Hamburg