Re: 3.0 to 4.5 comversion estimate???

From: Marty Bronstein <marty_at_amelia.sp.trw.com>
Date: 1995/09/09

USERNAME_at_iac.net (USERNAME) wrote:
>Anyone have any idea on a good rule of thumb for estimating the
>time to convert 3.0 forms to 4.5 forms?
>
>Thanks.

We are in the process now of doing this conversion for an application that consists of 11 forms. At first we thought it would only take a day or so for each form. WRONG!! The conversion time really depends on the complexity of your forms, number and type of triggers, and how fancy you want to get with all the new GUI capabilities available. The biggest problem we had was navagational triggers which decide when data can or must be entered in certain fields, depending on the values of previously defined fields. This was simple to do in 3.0 when navagation among fields occurred sequentially with the NEXT_FIELD key. With 4.5 and mouse navagation, field valadation takes on a new dimension. In addition, we are moving from a V6 to V7 database, which opens up more possibilities to improve the functionality and performance of the Forms application with new table constraints, database triggers, etc.

An outside consultant who made a proposal to do this conversion for us made the following estimate based on 11 forms (of various complexity) and V6 to V7 migration:

15 days to develop V7 database, including analyzing the existing forms, and refining data structures (tables, views, indices, triggers, etc.)

30 days to design new forms and implement the basic functionality of the original application.

This estimate was made after some familiarity with our application by the consultant.

The bottom line for our project seems to be that migration depends not only on the form itself, but on the underlying database structure as well.    Received on Sat Sep 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message