Re: Need recommendation for RS/6000 server

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org>
Date: 1995/09/09

cscott_at_interramp.com writes in article <42kg0j$87e_at_usenet1.interramp.com>:

> "Henri M.B. van den Bulk" <hvdbulk_at_lgc.com> wrote:
>
> >Wally Beddoe <wally_at_tkna.com> wrote:
> >>I need to buy an RS/6000 system which will server as an Oracle Server and
> >>a communications Server running "Direct Mailbox" s/w.
> >>The system needs to handle about 3,000 Oracle transactions a day or about
> >>100 transactions a minute.
> >>Also need the system to support a 1/2" 9-track tape drive.
> >>My guess is that a 500 series system would be the best bet.
> >>Any specifics would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>--
> >>Wally Beddoe Telekurs (North America) Inc.
> >>wally_at_tkna.com Stamford, Connecticut
> >>Semper Fi! (203) 353-8100
> >>

> I would seriously consider another back-end server. I've had to work
> with several AIX boxes as Oracle db servers. ALL had very poor
> performance. These were 500 series boxes outfitted with 384 Meg RAM
> and only one instance running. The box was completely saturated while
> running a Financials upgrade with 5 workers. The configuration was on
> IBM's high availability cluster. I found that I could crash the
> system at will. The I/O was so bad that during the creation of
> tablespaces, the HACMP manager thought the machine was down because
> HACMP didn't 'hear' from the box within it's timeout period. VERY
> unstable, VERY poor performance. During one of the numerous support
> calls I got an Oracle support guy to admit that the AIX platform was
> not a good one for a back-end db server. As an apps server it it
> pretty good.

Sorry to jump in, but I think you seriously need people who understand what they are talking about (from both ORACLE and IBM :-))

I have installed many AIX boxes with ORACLE on it; both with standard and customer-written applications on it. Its quite easy to get bad performance, if people install all things as "standard" or you have a poorly written application....

Currently, we have a 58H with AIX 3.2.5, ORACLE 7.0.16, 6 GB database, 256 MB RAM, 70 concurrent users, several modems handling over 20000 order-positions in 6 hours. All orders are processed and shipped the same day (in these 6 hours).

 Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet              2:2474/117  2:2474/118
      willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org      VFC        ISDN/X.75
   -> No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-