Re: Creating indexes on a large table

From: Saad Ahmad <sahmad_at_mfa.com>
Date: 1995/09/08

Dipankar (dasdipa_at_zeus.franklin.edu) wrote:
> Hi netters,
> I am trying to create an index on 2 columns of a large table
> ( 8 million rows) after loading the data through SQL*Loader.
> This process was taking days together. Running ORACLE 7.1.4
> on NT server. Database is of 9.5 Gig out of 10 Gig available
> on the machine. SGA is of 24 MB out of 100 MB total memory.

if you can load data sorted by the key; you can build index with the NOSORT option

> Any help / suggestions to create indexes in an efficient way would be
> greatly appreciated.

> One more non-oracle question -
> I am using 'rn' as newsgroup reader and having a hard time
> to figure out how to post a article to a specific newsgroup. Currently
> I hit 'f' to post this article, but this will probably be posted as
> follow-up article which is what 'f' is listed for in help for 'rn'.
> Any idea on this?

> I would appreciate if you could mail me your reply to dasdipa_at_zeus.
> franklin.edu in addition to your normal route.
> Thanks in advance.

> dasdipa
> dasdipa_at_zeus.franklin.edu
> (614) 223-1059

*                          Saad Ahmad                        *
*                          McHugh Freeman & Associates, Inc. *
*                          Ph:  (414) 798-8606 Ext. 457      *
*                          Fax: (414) 798-8619               *
*                          E-Mail: sahmad_at_mfa.com            *