ORACLE 7 (FORMS 3.0 problem) and OSF/1 3.2a

From: Jim Gehl,,, <gehl_at_apollo.sheridanc.on.ca>
Date: 1995/09/08

I hope someone out there can help me with this problem....

We have just migrated our application from UNIX to OSF/1 3.2a . We are running ORACLE 7.1.6.2.0 and are using FORMS 3.0.16.12.9 .

Since the move we have been experiencing "random" core dumps. The message is memory fault ... core dump.

The user then goes back in and trys the same function and it works fine. We have an Alpha 3800 with 288 RAM. More than enough disk space. 800 MEG of swap space.

I have been in contact with ORACLE and the vendor where we purchased the application from and have had no luck. ORACLE just sent me a patch that they said might correct this problem BUT a user experienced four core dumps this morning.

I have monitored the users functions and key strokes and have determined they are core dumping when

  1. they are trying to commit a record
  2. when they are navigating between forms

This is totally random throughout the application, the next time the user goes in and trys the same function it works perfectly.

I have looked at the core dumps and have found nothing out of the ordinary.

I am getting desparate as users are getting very frustrated.

Thank you.

Jim Gehl
Database Administrator

Sheridan College
Oakville, Ontario Canada Received on Fri Sep 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message