Re: Question: Did we made a mistake in choosing Oracle?

From: Craig Harper <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1995/09/07

sophistry_at_aol.com (Sophistry) wrote:
>Dear Oracle users:
>
>Is this what we should expect to put up with in the future? We recently
>decided
>to stop development on Ingres (due to lack of CA support) and start new
>projects using Oracle. Even though the product is shipped with no
>documentation
>(we were assured documentation was included in the product before
>ordering),
>the installation went fine.
>
>Now while waiting for the documentation to arrive (at an additional cost
>of course)
>we decided to print off the forms tutorial and step through it. At about
>step 4, it
>says compile the form. Of course it does not work, some error about
>PL/SQL
>source not found.
>
>An excuse to try support. First you need to get the CSI number. Why
>wasn't it
>shipped with the product? Answer: to force new users to listen to 20
>minutes
>of Oracle info-mercials (on the users' nickel). Received the CSI and a
>TAR and
>was put through to the holding pattern for technical support. After
>another 15
>minutes of dead time (other then making Sprint happy), we hung up.
>
>Our question is, what is the average time it takes to talk to a human and
>once
>contact has been made to get an answer?
>
>This is a serious question, since we would rather eat the cost now rather
>then
>waste six months and then throw it out in frustration.
>
>Thank you in advance for any responses and experiences shared.
>
>Marvin Hubenthal
>Sophistry Inc.

I have waited for up to a 1/2 hour to speek with a human at Oracle, then after getting the TAR I have waited for upto 3-5 hrs before someone called me back. I will say that the support once gotten is very good. I have not been able to stump the support team yet. They have always been able to figure out the problem. I think that you will find Oracle a very strong platform.

What level of support did you purchase, bronze, silver, gold, ect. If you purchased on of the upper levels you should recieve faster support. If work cannot continue you should let them know they will respond much faster. Received on Thu Sep 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message