Re: Question: Did we made a mistake in choosing Oracle?

From: Ed Bruce <edward_at_igate1.hac.com>
Date: 1995/09/07

In article <42lg5a$er1_at_zippy.cais.net>, randyd_at_cais.com (Randy Dewoolfson) wrote:

> I can't of course speak for everyone, but getting in to Oracle
> Support can be a pain in the a**. It now depends on the level
> of support you purchase, and whether you have a production system
> thats down when you call. For general first time install questions,
> it can seem like an unbelievable chore to have to put up with the
> nightmare of 'Press 2 ... now' messages and infomercials. But when
> you're really stuck, you'll get to one of the guys in Oracle who
> actually knows whats going on, and your problem is usually solved
> in very reasonable time... ( Of course this can now turn into
> that thread about how it took 4 months and more to solve this or
> that...) But in general, I've found that when you need them most,
> some guy in the bowels of Oracle will emerge to save your bacon.
> ( or at least tell you that it'll be fixed in the next release.)

Well I'm new to Oracle and new to my current project. I have found several severe bugs and wanted to contact Oracle. I was told: "Forget it, Oracle support always blames us." What a great attitude, what wonderful support. Oh yes, once they are convinced there is a bug, the standard answer is that'll be fixed in the next release. Of course they fail to mention the next release is on a different platform then we're running on.

--
Ed Bruce
edward_at_igate1.hac.com