Re: Large Oracle / Unix installations

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: 1995/09/07

Hong Kong Telecom has a Oracle database approximately 700GB (mirrored so they have about 1.4 Terrabytes of storage) running on a HP-UX cluster. This contains their latest 6 weeks billing data. God knows how much they have archived. This is a 24x7 shop so they have no backups and their sysadmins tend to burnout rapidly. (One recently quit and took up another job at 1/2 her old pay - but now she doesn't get a panic attavk everytime the pager goes off :-)).

E-mail me for a contact address in HK if necessary.

>Steinar Heggelund (steina_at_telepost.no) wrote:
>: I am working in a project where we are evaluating several possible
>: configurations to implement our system.

>: The system is an OLTP system (insurance related) with 6000 users
>: (2000 simultanious) and a 100Gb database. An estimate of
>: 700 SQL-statements pr. sec.

>: One of the configuration's we are considering is Oracle7.x on Unix, but
>: it's hard finding other Oracle installation's of this size. We are
>: required to find other fairly simular installations, or this
>: configuration will not be accepted by the project managment.

>: My question is: Is there anybody out there who know of Oracle / Unix
>: installation's with size ? Preferably in production, but if they are
>: in a development phase I would appreciate you letting me know about them
>: too.

>: Steinar Heggelund, Opus One AS, Norway

|Philip Chee: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my| This is a work of fiction.Any resemblance |
|Tasek Cement Berhad              |  to persons living or dead is completely  |
|P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA| coincidental. The creator of this article |
|Voice: +605-551-011              |    has asserted its moral right to be     |
|  Fax: +605-566-142              |          identified as the author.        |
+-------------------Eigi-Eru-Enn-Allir-Jomsvikingar-Daudir!-------------------+
... Clairvoyant meeting cancelled due to unforeseen events.
---
 * TLX v4.00 *