Re: DEC Alpha Install Prob w/7.1.6

From: Lisa Roderick <roderick_at_eps.enet.dec.com>
Date: 1995/09/07

In article <41tebh$qof_at_einstein.ghgcorp.com>, daveh_at_ghgcorp.com says...

>You never said whether you were rebuilding from source or not. I assume
>not. OSF is pretty picky and usually requires all source (including
>support utilities) to be rebuilt from scatch. It is a 64 bit UNIX and
>not binary compatible with anything. You probably will have to wait
>on Oracle to create you a special version.
>
>Porting on the Alpha kept me busy for several months.

Note that with Digital UNIX (formerly DEC OSF/1) V3.0 and beyond binary compatibility is a primary goal. We haven't had to relink Oracle when we upgrade the operating system since last year when we were on V2.1.

--
Lisa Roderick
Applications Systems Engineering Performance Group