HELP: Web/Oracle Interface Errors

From: Mike Emeigh <emeighm_at_smtpj.bah.com>
Date: 1995/09/06

We are running into a problem in developing a Web/Oracle interface.

Configuration Info:

Sparc20 running Solaris 2.4, with an NCSA HTTPD Web server and Oracle 7.1.6.

Application specifics:

The Web server and Oracle database are both co-resident on the same processor. The Web gateway program makes a function call following a query from the Web browser to a Pro-C procedure which reads the Oracle database and returns the desired data to the gateway program. The gateway program then formats the appropriate HTML page and returns that page to the browser.

When the Pro-C procedure is run standalone (using the Oracle server), the data is fetched correctly. When the gateway program is run locally on the Sparc20, the gateway program returns the correct data. When the gateway program is called from a Web browser, we get an SQL*Net TNS:name lookup failure error. We don't have any idea whether the problem is Oracle-specific, Web-server-specific, or some combination thereof. We have not been able to get much assistance from Oracle's technical support group.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to why we might be getting this error message? Please E-mail your thoughts to me at emeighm_at_bah.com, since my news server doesn't always get all posts. Thanks in advance.

Mike Emeigh
Booz-Allen and Hamilton
emeighm_at_bah.com Received on Wed Sep 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message