Re: tnsnames.ora, listener.ora examples

From: Michael Ryan <ryan_at_xsoft.xerox.com>
Date: 1995/09/06

In article <427e8h$29e_at_bristol.onramp.net>, mmarolda_at_bristol.onramp.net (Michael J. Marolda) writes:

>Someone asked for an example of the tnsnames and listener files for a
>simple network. I use a derivative of the following in my tcp/ip
>network. Anything that needs to be modified is in lower case (with the
>exception of the port number if you want to change it).
>
>yourmachine_listen=(ADDRESS_LIST=
> (ADDRESS=
> (PROTOCOL=TCP)
> (HOST=xxx.xx.xxx.xx)
> (PORT=1544)
2 things:
1. Oracle7 defaults to PORT=1521
2. i always use HOST names, HOST=dbhost, instead of IP addresses.

   though, i have found situations where customers do not run DNS    or do not have their PCs configured properly. at that time,    i usually configure their PCs.

from a tnsnames.ora shared around our network: kuma =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = TCP.WORLD)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (HOST = kuma)
          (PORT = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = example_sid)
    )
  )

from the listener.ora on kuma:
LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

     (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = TCP.WORLD)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (HOST = kuma)
          (PORT = 1521)
        )

  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
LOG_DIRECTORY_LISTENER = /opt/oracle/product/7.1.6/network/log
LOG_FILE_LISTENER = sqlnet.log
SID_LIST_LISTENER =

  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = example_sid)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle/product/7.1.6)
    )
  )

good luck
//michael

--
:: michael ryan , ryan_at_xsoft.xerox.com
:: ob disclaimer: opinions expressed are not those of xerox, corp.