Re: HELP:Forms4.5 - host command goes to DOS - Is that Right

From: Lawrence James <james.lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: 1995/09/05

In article <41u8h7$k67_at_ob1.uws.EDU.AU> A.Robb@.uws.edu.au (Andrew Robb) writes:
>From: A.Robb_at_.uws.edu.au (Andrew Robb)
>Subject: HELP:Forms4.5 - host command goes to DOS - Is that Right
>Date: 29 Aug 1995 05:28:07 GMT

>We are writing a small application which requires the execution of 'GRANT
> SELECT, UPDATE...etc on tablename to username' to be run from withing
>Forms 4.5. We were going to do this by passing the username from the block
>to a sql script file on the PC which would the run the grants.

>Why when we use the HOST built-in does it drop out to dos and show
>'This Program requires Microsoft Windows'. I would have thought that
>the HOST for CDE Tools would have been windows.

>We want to have the GRANTING of table Priviledges done without having
>hardcode in any table names or usernames. We've managed to program it
>so that no hardcoding is done but we can't get HOST to run the
>plus31.exe executable.

>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

>Also is there an FAQ for Forms 4.5 anywhere.

>Thanks.

Yes, host is supposed to go to DOS. The DDE commands are used to execute other windows applications. But of course SQLPlus is not DDE capable. In any case you want to use the forms_ddl built instead. It will let you execute ddl statements inside forms. Much simpler that what you're trying to do.

Lawrence.... Received on Tue Sep 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message