Re: Connecting to local Oracle database On NT3.51 Workstation

From: Kees Verruijt <kees_at_redwood.nl>
Date: 1995/09/05

> Having played around with personal Oracle for Windows for a few weeks,
> I decided to try out the NT server 90 day trial version on NT 3.51.
> Everything installed fine and I can start an instance using the server
> tools. I can also connect using SQL*DBA.
>
> Next, I installed the client software that comes with the trial
> version on the same machine and using the default TCPIP protocol. I
> have configured Network Manager in accordance (Ithink :-) ) with the
> documentation, although the help files are not NT specific and assume
> that a network is present.
>
> Whenever I try to connect using the client tools, it refuses; can't
> find host or TNS failure, etc.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is it possible to use the client software with a database on
> the
> same machine?

Yup. You have to install the NT networking stuff (without an adapter).

Then tell Oracle to use the NAMED PIPE protocol. You can set the LOCAL= entry in the ORACLE.INI to P:<nodename>:ORCL

Don't use TCP/IP, this will only work when you have an Ethernet card or installed RAS (but haven't tried the last one).

Oh, and by the way: there is a bug in the ORAINST: do not run ORAINST from your hard-disk, always run it directly from CD. Otherwise you'll get "unknown variable" errors.

> 2. If so, which protocol should I use and how do I configure
> Network
> Manager?

Do not configure netman, you don't need it for such a simple setup.

> 3. As a last resort, if the above isn't possible, does Personal
> Oracle
> for Windows work under NT, or is there a specific version for it.

 No it doesn't.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated
>
> --
> Kind regards
> Paul John
> --
> Paul John
> Sterling Computer Support Ltd
> Internet: paulj_at_sterling.demon.co.uk
> Compuserve: 100532,1566

You're welcome,

Kees Verruijt
kees_at_redwood.nl Received on Tue Sep 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message