Re: HELP! V5.1 won't run on Pentium Computer

From: Lawrence James <james.lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: 1995/09/05

In article <020995.07412622437.n_at_frontier.canrem.com> Terry Best <tbest_at_frontier.canrem.com> writes:
>From: Terry Best <tbest_at_frontier.canrem.com>
>Subject: Re: HELP! V5.1 won't run on Pentium Computer
>Date: 02 Sep 1995 07:41:26 GMT

>>Help! I need to learn Oracle, so I bought a complete copy of 5.1C
>>with all docs. It doesn't install all the way. It violates memory
>>at a specific location when initializing the database. If I manually
>>start "oracle" the SQLPME program either hard locks the machine under DOS,
>>or under windows 95 it says loading Oracle and locks.
>>
>>I have a Packard Bell Pentium 90, with 24 megs. Does anyone know what
 versions
>>of Windows, NT, OS/2, or DOS might make this work?
>>
>>Thanks.

Just guessing but try taking emm386 out of your config.sys. Use machine type 2 in your config.ora. I don't think you'll ever get it to run under W95 and I know you won't in W3.1. You can make it work with emm386 but you'll have to allocate expanded memory and switch to machine type J.

Lawrence.... Received on Tue Sep 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message