Personal Oracle7 for Windows - Can't Start SQL*Plus 3.1

From: <David.Churchill_at_internetMCI.COM>
Date: 1995/09/04

I believe this is a repeat question, but was not answered earlier.

I am trying to run the trial version of Oracle7 for Windows, but I cannot get started. I have performed the complete installation.

When I select the SQL*Plus 3.1 icon and I enter values for username, password, and host string, I get the following message:

SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.3.5.4 - Production on Mon Sep 04 15:05:54 1995

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.

ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-09243: smsget: error attaching to SGA OSD-01104: unable to attach to SGA: SGA does not exist

Enter user-name:

The Release Note provides the following password hints:

The first time you connect to the database, several defaults are set up for your user name, user password, database name, and database password.

The following defaults are established for your user name and user password:

User Name 	 User Password
Scott		Tiger
System		Manager
Sys		Change_on_install

I have tried the above passwords with a Host String of "2:" and with "ORACLE7". I assume that I am not getting one of the three fields correct. Any ideas? Received on Mon Sep 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message