Re: Defragmenting SYSTEM tablespace

From: Antero.Elovaara <antero.elovaara_at_ivo.fi>
Date: 1995/09/04

random_at_flowbee.interaccess.com (Brett Neumeier) wrote:

> Platinum Technology sells a utility called TSreorg, which can
> de-fragment any tablespace (including SYSTEM)
> *while the database is up*.
> I don't know of any other tool that does this, offhand.

Database may be up while using TSreorg, but "data cannot be accessed while it is being reorganized" Quotation is from 'Platinum Edge Magazine", Vol 1 (Winter 1994), published by Platinum Technology.

OpenVision might have the solution
In http://www.ov.com/product/ is said:

"OpenV*Dfrag increases the performance of Oracle V6 or V7 databases by rebuilding tables into a single contiguous extent. It allows you to automatically schedule defragmentation whether the database is on- or off-line. OpenV*Dfrag has built-in recovery mechanisms and employs an easy-to-use Oracle Forms Interface."

I believe that they told in EOUG 94 (Maastricht, Nederland) that tables could be accessed while they are being reorganized. I have no experience about either of the products.

Antero Elovaara
Dativo OY
Finland Received on Mon Sep 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message