Re: Need recommendation for RS/6000 server

From: Henri M.B. van den Bulk <hvdbulk_at_lgc.com>
Date: 1995/09/03

Wally Beddoe <wally_at_tkna.com> wrote:
>I need to buy an RS/6000 system which will server as an Oracle Server and
>a communications Server running "Direct Mailbox" s/w.
>The system needs to handle about 3,000 Oracle transactions a day or about
>100 transactions a minute.
>Also need the system to support a 1/2" 9-track tape drive.
>My guess is that a 500 series system would be the best bet.
>Any specifics would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>Wally Beddoe Telekurs (North America) Inc.
>wally_at_tkna.com Stamford, Connecticut
>Semper Fi! (203) 353-8100

I think a 500 series system is OK, but if you want to think ahead it's not. IBM is moveing his RS/6000 series to PowerPC machines, C, G, P series. If get one of these you are more likely to be ready for the future in the RS/6000 market. Allready IBM is making hardware and software for these machines.

Oracle has currently a SMP server (7.2) that works greate with a RS/6000 that has a multiprocessor architecture. If you want a system that needs to be a multi purpose machine, then I would go with a multiprocessor machine. The new AIX 4.1 OS from IBM allready works with this architecture and it realy speeds up things.

We have currently a G30 machine with a two-way processor (2 CPU's) board, and we picked this machine based on the fact that it needs to be a multi purpose system (development and server for different things). If you need more processing speed with this machine you can just add another processor board and it becomes a 4 way system.
The price of these types are less, I think, then the 500 series.

The tape drive should not be a problem, all RS/6000 systems have SCSI boards.

You might want to take a look at all pro and cons of the RS/6000 systems at http://www.ibm.com/Products/.

Hope this helps.

 Henri van den Bulk
 MGI Tulsa
 A Landmark Graphics Corp.
 tel. +1-918-749-7498, fax. +1-918-749-5556  E-mail: hvdbulk_at_lgc.com
	Art has to be forgotten, beauty has to be realised.
		Mondriaan