SqlNet...Someone Slap me Please.

From: Mike Adamski <mike_at_mneme>
Date: 1995/09/03

Folks, I may be a bit awry here, but I'm a sun fellow, through & through, using SQL*NET to talk to myself, sun-to-sun, TCP/IP up the wazoo. So I get my latest copy of Oracle, oh, 7.2.2.3.0, and up 'till now, I've been installing with SQL*NET V1 TCP/IP, 'cause that's what I was taught to do in my infant DBA stages. Now Oracle goes and gives me this book, called SQL*NET V1 to V2 Migration Guide.

Oracle tells me that I'd better switch my world to SQL*NET V2, 'cuze they aina gonna support V1 afta June '96. So ok, I read on. I'm happy to move out of the stone ages. I read on, and find lots of wonderful things said 'bout said product, and I get excited (silly me?). Then I go to my install manual, to see about installing the thing...and on page 7-7 of my sun sparc ICG, it says

"Note: These congifuration files MUST be generated using the Windows version of Oracle Network Manager."

Oh No! What am I to do? I gotta generate files to run SQL*NET V2 on a PC, which I (Strangely enough) don't have, with SQL*NET on that PC (which I didn't buy) then PORT them to my SUN? Help?!!!

I believe I'm missing something...aren't I? Is there a discussion of how to generate these files in SUN manually? Are they gonna produce this product for the SUN? (Since that's where my RDBMS & SQLNET are gonna be used). What's up?

If you wanna e-mail me, go to mike_at_sed.stel.com.

Thanks a whole big bunch! Received on Sun Sep 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message