Re: Help: DBMS equivalent to FORMS_DDL procedure

From: Bob King <rking_at_dfw.net>
Date: 1995/09/02

In article <426o5n$p05_at_sol.lssec.bt.co.uk>, nambrose_at_lssec.bt.co.uk says...

 <Jerry.Murr-1_at_kmail.ksc.nasa.gov> writes:

>|> In Oracle Forms, there is a packaged procedure named "forms_ddl"
>|> that allows any SQL command to be executed from PL/SQL in a Forms
>|> application (normally, PL/SQL is limited to DML commands). I am
>|> trying to move some of my PL/SQL Program Units from forms into
>|> database procedures, but I need to be able to execute DDL commands
>|> (such as the "alter role" command). Is there a DBMS packaged
>|> procedure that is equivalent to the Forms "forms_ddl" procedure?
>|>
>Exactly what version of Forms is this present in ? i can't see
>it in Froms3. However, in Oracle 7.0.15, there appears to be
>a package called DBMS_DDL which may do what you need.
>Nick

In Oracle 7.1 + there is a pl/sql package, dbms_???(I don't have it in front of me) that lets you do any most ddl - grants, create tables, etc. you can literally build the sql on the fly, parse and execute it. We're using it to encapsulate the granting of roles with the updating of security tables. We also are using it (via rpc) to allow users to change their passwords on all of our instances at once. So far it works well.

One caveat of the pl/sql version, it operates in the security domain of the person executing the procedure, not in the domain of the procedure owner, like most other stored procedures. This really is a mixed blessing.

--
Bob King - rking_at_dfw.net
business ph. - (817) 551-8223