Re: Pro*c communication to database across machines

From: S. Kannan <skannan_at_cardinal.fs.com>
Date: 1995/09/01

Ken Lang (klang_at_hostara.att.com) wrote:
: Hello. A recent project I've been assigned to requires that I write a
: Pro*C program that runs on one HP-UX machine and accesses a database on
: another HP-UX machine. Given that SQL*Net is running on both machines, is
: this viable ? Are there SQL*NET library calls I can use in my PRO*C
: program to access the remote database ?

: I appreciate any help.

: Thanks,

: Ken
: klang_at_hostare.att.com

If you are using ORACLE7 with the distributed option, you can achieve you objective in the following two ways:

  1. Create a database link to the remote database and perform DML statements. DML statements are transparent to the location of the database. Only the database link would need the SQL*NET string to connect to the remote database.
  2. Use an AT Clause to connect and perform DML statements to the remote database. Here the SQL*NET string would be necessary to connect to the remote database.

If you are using Oracle 6, you can only perform SELECT statements on the remote database.

If you are using any version earlier the 6, such an operation is not possible.

Hope this answers your question.

Kannan
Email: skannan_at_fs.com
Mastech Systems Corporation

The above are my own comments and opinion. They do not purport that of
anybody else.