Re: Oracle RAID (RAID7 has no write penalty)

From: Kevin McHugh <kmchugh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/31

In <1995Aug30.100457.28670_at_schbbs.mot.com> RHG054_at_waccvm.corp.mot.com (Alvin Lee) writes:

>I would like to correct a typing error in my message "Re: ORACLE RAID"
>on Aug25,95 regarding RAID7.
>
>" this latest technology give us 100% performance improvement without
> -------
> write penalty."

>Alvin
>Motorola HK

Raid-7 or whatever the vendor chooses to call it has been addressed in depth in the comp.database.hardware.(scsi??) news group. Just like the reading a block from the Oracle buffer cache requires no I/O a write to a Raid-7 system that can fit in the buffer of the Raid-7 system will give no write penalty. If you saturate the buffer then the systems will suffer from the same write penalty as an Ordinary Raid-5 array. Also since these systems require ram and ram still cost $20-50/ megabyte it still maybe more cost effective to run Raid 1/0 for disk requirements of under 20 gigabytes.

Kevin A. McHugh
The Triad Group Received on Thu Aug 31 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message