Re: Yet, another Extent question ?

From: Gilles BRUNO <Gilles.Bruno_at_ujf-grenoble.fr>
Date: 1995/08/31

In article <41qbkd$ah2_at_sundog.tiac.net>,

   stahmosh_at_tiac.net (Steve Tahmosh) wrote:
>Spreading a table over multiple disks is not yet that effective in
>Oracle, as you cannot control which data goes into which extent (disk).
>MinExtents is most useful when you need to create a large table, but you
>do not have a large contiguous free space. You can specify an initial
>(smaller) extent size and minextents > 1 to allocate multiple extents,
>which together consume a large amount of free space, but not in one
>extent.

Hi. I never have used it, but it's possible to manually allocate extents for specific tables (I haven't used this functionnality yet), but if you could manage to find/create an extend in a tablespace/datafile on the disk you're looking to spread over, I guest you could make some fine tuning.

SELECT * from dba_extents;       <-\
SELECT * from dba_free_space;    <-| to find out an extent in the particular
SELECT * from dba_data_files;    <-/  TBS or datafile you're looking at...

ALTER TABLE ... ALLOCATE EXTENT ...

I have not check it, but according to the doc. it could work. Hope it helps. Bye.

   ('<      Gilles BRUNO.   Universite Joseph Fourier.
  ,',)      Tel: +33 76 63 56 68    Fax: +33 76 51 42 74
 ''<<       E-mail: Gilles.Bruno_at_ujf-grenoble.fr