ora 3123 net read error ???

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/08/30

Since switching to SQL*Net 2.0 and using the mwinsock dll, we have been increasingly experiencing the following ora 3123 error. Can someone clarify what this message is really saying and how we can stop the problem. We are on

ORACLE 7.0.16, SQL*Net 2.0, either lanman or pathway TCP/IP stacks on the PC's and using the mwinsock.dll dated 9/14/93 with 9216 bytes. Changing to the pathway or lanman2 dll seems to alleviate the problem.

<ps1-oracle> oerr ora 3123
03123, 00000, "network read would block"
// *Cause:  This is an internal status code that indicates that no data

// are ready for a network read operation that was designated as
// non-blocking. The read operation will be retried later.
// *Action: None; this is not an error. The operation will be retried
// automatically later.

Does this mean that the PC app is requesting more rows from a current select to be sent over the net to the PC and ORACLE hasn't retrieved them yet? What is the block/non-blocking read mean?

Thanks in Advance
Jim Gregory

Views and opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect my empoyer's or client's. Received on Wed Aug 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message