Re: ORA-6114 Problem

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/08/29

yves_at_java.cc.mcgill.ca (Yves LePage) wrote:

>Hello,

>I have this problem only when I try to connect to my Oracle
>server from Pro*C programs.

>Inside the programs, we have tried connecting with:

>user/pass_at_T:servermachine:dbname
>user IDENTIFIED by pass at dbname USING connstring

>and the error is always the same:

>ORACLE error--

>ORA-06114: NETTCP: SID lookup failure

>On the server side, ~oracle/tcp/log/orasrv.log tell me:

>24-AUG-95 14:47:51 /home/oracle/bin/orasrv[ 9099]: ERROR while processing request from host machine.CC.McGill.CA:
>24-AUG-95 14:47:51 /home/oracle/bin/orasrv[ 9099]: ERROR: SID lookup failure for '*'

>My guess would be that Pro*C doesn't copy the database name in the
>SQL statement to the structure. I was able to duplicate the problem
>by using sqlplus with: username/password_at_T:machinename:*

>I could not find this error anywhere in the book although I found one
>that is similar: ORA-6420. The fun part is that from remote machines,
>we can connect using Oraperl, sqlplus, even the NeXT oracle utilities
>work just fine. I have a tnsnames.ora file and a listener.ora file
>and an oratab file that are (I suppose) ok (since sqlplus works fine).

>I have tried both sunos 4 and solaris 2.4 versions od the Pro*C
>stuff and I get the bahaviour on both platforms.

>I just can't believe these libs have bugs, too many people use them
>succesfully.

>Please, what have I missed?

>Thanks a lot.
>--

>Yves Lepage
>yves_at_cc.mcgill.ca

ORA-6114 is a SQL*net error message and will be in the SQL*Net user guide.

Its not clear from your message, but are you splittng up your command user/pass_at_connectstring parameter and placing it in the host variables user, pass and dbname? Pro*C will not do this for you.

If you are doing that, is connectstring long enough to hold the parameter?

Jim Smith                      jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk
Oracle DBA