Re: Combining NT Workstation with Oracel running in UNIX

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 1995/08/29

In article <419pmr$6e_at_news.csie.nctu.edu.tw>, imklchen_at_saturn (K.L.Chen) writes:
> Is it possible to run an application in NT but access oracle database which is
> running in UNIX?

Yes. You need to have the NT application logon to the UNIX database across SQL*NET. I'm not sure of the syntax for NT/UNIX but in the VAX environment running TCP/IP you can do

   connect username/password_at_T:nodename::databasename

Check your SQL*NET and NETCONFIG manuals.

Apart from the special connect string your application does not need any other changes and won't even realize that the database isn't on the NT box.

This is one of the many NICE things about ORACLE !!!!

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras