[Q]: Distribution Option in Oracle 7.x

From: Kræn David Christensen <kdc_at_stibo.dk>
Date: 1995/08/28

I have read that oracle in some way support distribution of data, and I quote:

"In many installations, portions of corporate data reside on different computers in different cities. Acounts receivable may be based in Dallas, procurement in Toronto, research and development in Jakarta, and head office in Lisbon. Each location has a segment of the corporate data, yet users need to access that information as if it all resided on the same central computer. The distributed option permits this scenario to become a reality. There is location transparency, such that that a user in Yokohama working with the information stored in Toronto is unaware of the physical location of the data. The physical location of the procurement data is unknown to all users. Oracle's distributed option permits this to work."

How much ditribution of data is supported by Oracle. Is it for instance possible to fragment a table so that one half of the records are store on site A, and the other half of the records of a table is situated on site B. And if I now access the logical table from, say, site C, can Oracle then automatically find the records needed from either site. In other words can Oracle support horizontal (as well as vertical) fragmentation of tables?

Likewise, how well do Oracle support replication of data, and consistent update of such replicated data? Does it have distributed transactions?

In general how much distribution is supported by Oracle, and if you don't know -- where can I find information regarding this?

I would appriciate any e-mail response regarding the above questions.

Best regards Kraen David Christensen.

Kræn David Christensen,
Stibo Datagrafik, Sletvej 34, DK-8310 Tranbjerg J, Denmark Email: kdc_at_stibo.dk, Phone: (+45) 86 29 57 11 - 242 Received on Mon Aug 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message