Re: PMON killed, I can't start Oracle

From: Barry Roomberg <barry_roomberg_at_iacnet.com>
Date: 1995/08/28

In article <DD5LCD.59z_at_ranger.daytonoh.attgis.com>, Nalini Vallampati <> says:

>Hi all, I am a newbie DBA, please bear with me.
>
>This morning I accidentally killed the PMON ( hurriedly used the wrong PID ).
>Now my Oracle instance won't start. I get the following messages:
>
>SQLDBA > connect internal
>Connected.
>SQLDBA > startup mount
>DBA-00342: unable to complete internal login
>ORA-00472: PMON process terminated with error
>SQLDBA >
>
>The server messages and codes manual asks me to check the background process
>trace file, and then shutdown and restart the instance. But I am not able to
>shutdown the database. Any command I execute gives me the above two
>error messages. What went wrong ?
>
>I am running Oracle 7.1.4 on AT&T SVR4 Rel 2.03.01.
>
>I would appreciate any help. Thanks
>
>Nalini Vallampati
>AT&T Credit
>Maimisburg, Ohio 45342

Do a "CONNECT INTERNAL" and then a "SHUTDOWN ABORT" to sqldba.
Also, your mail header does not have a recognizable address, you I can't mail this to you directly. Received on Mon Aug 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message